PMS is a variety of symptoms such as bloating, headaches, mood swings, or other physical and emotional changes a woman my experience each month. It usually occurs 1-2 weeks before menstruation.
What are the symptoms of PMS?
• Cravings for sweet or salty food
• Acne due to hormonal changes affecting sebum production
• Pain like back pain, headaches, tender breasts and joint pain
• Mood swing - Irritability, anger, depression, anxiety may come and go on days leading to the period
Who are more likely to get PMS?
• Older teens between 15 to 18 years old
• Age 20s, 30s
• At 40s reaching the perimenopause (the 5 to 10 years before menopause stage), symptoms may get worse
• Women with a history of depression or other mood disorder
What causes PMS?
The exact cause is unknown. It could be related to cyclic changes in hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone). Serotonin (brain chemical) plays an essential role in mood. Fluctuation of it can also trigger PMS. Deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals may also play a role.
What conditions can affect or worsen PMS?
- Under tremendous amount of stress
- Sleep deprivation
- Eat too much red meat, salt or sugar
- Drink too much alcohol
How to prevent PMS?
Healthy lifestyle can help to prevent PMS. Moderate exercise of about 30minutes regularly.
Food rich in vitamin B’s may help to reduce and prevent PMS according to a study. Women ate foods high in thiamine, riboflavin were less like to experience PMS.
Increase fiber intake can help to stabilize blood sugar level and that may ease mood swing and food cravings.
Minimize salt, caffeine, sugar and alcohol intake
Practice yoga, medication to help relieving stress that can be caused by PMS.
Studies suggest folic acid, magnesium, vitamin E, calcium, vitamin B6 may help to reduce PMS symptoms.
Magnesium helps to relax the mind and muscles
The balance of calcium and magnesium also can help with sleeping problem, muscle aches, headaches
B vitamins (folic acid, b6 etc) also help to handle stress
Grape seed extract also helps to reduce water retention
Purenourish, a healthy meal containing good source of fiber that is beneficial to stabilize blood sugar and thus reduce cravings for sugar.